Mentmore was established in 1913 when the Dilco Coal Mine was opened. It was very much a company town, with a company store, post office, school, and power plant. Employees living in company provided frame houses. When the mines closed in 1952, most of the businesses in town closed and the population plummeted.
Allison was located on a coal belt northwest of Gallup. At its peak, there were over 500 people living in Allison.
Clarkville was an important lignite coal mining camp, with a school, library, hospital, and electric plant. Compared to the other mining camps, Clarkville was more family-friendly, with no saloon. In fact, they prohibited the sale of liquor in Clarkville. The community peaked in 1905, with about 400 inhabitants. Two years later the town was half that size. It has been a ghost town since 1910.