Red Rock Balloon Rally
The 40th was fantastic in 2021. Hope you join us December 2 - 4, 2022.
Rally in the Rocks
Red Rock Balloon Rally has been held on the first weekend of December since 1981, with the exception of 2020. The event attracts over 200 balloons from around the world, making it the 2nd largest rally in the U.S.
Though it is a sizable event in terms of participation and attendance, it doesn’t feel crowded, with people dispersed over a large area, including on top of the surrounding cliffs and on the dirt access roads around the park.
Things To Know Before You Go
Mother Nature - Ballooning is 100% subject to weather and wind. Cool air, with wind between 4-6 mph is ideal. Sometimes the wind may feel calm and light on the ground, while there are strong air currents a few hundred feet above the ground. It isn’t safe to fly in strong winds. Keep in mind, balloons have no steering wheel or brakes.
- Navigation – Though balloon pilots are limited in terms of steering, they demonstrate their flying skills at Red Rock Park by touching down lightly on top of the sandstone before descending to hover in the narrow canyons.
- What to Wear – Hot Air Ballooning starts early in the morning. It is usually cold, though it often warms up quickly once the sun comes up. Dress accordingly. Layers are ideal so you can add or remove clothing as needed.
- Breakfast - There are vendors at the park, but for a true Red Rock Rally experience, treat yourself to a tamale from one of the roadside vendors. If you are up way before the sun, Westend Donut & Deli is open 24-hours. Glenn's Bakery also gets an early start in the morning if you are craving a breakfast burrito and hot coffee before the event.
- Balloon Glow - The glow at Red Rock park is fantastic, with the fiery glow of the balloons casting shadows on the surrounding cliffs. The event includes Native dancers performing social dances around a blazing bonfire. The bonfire is also a good place to stay warm.
- Vendors – There are numerous vendors with unique, Native American crafts, including woven tapestries, jewelry, pottery, stone fetishes, and more.
- Find the Perfect Gift in Gallup - The rally coincides with Gallup’s holiday parade. Often the shops and trading posts often have extended hours to accommodate holiday shopping.
X-Treme-Lee True Adventures
If you are looking for an opportunity to go aloft in Gallup, New Mexico, X-Treme-Lee Fun Balloon Adventures
is a family-owned balloon company in Gallup.
The True-Lee balloon is sponsored by the New Mexico Department of Travel and Tourism, making it a representative on behalf of New Mexico at rallies around the state and country.
X-Treme-Lee Fun Balloon Adventures
1400 Kit Carson Drive
Gallup, NM 87301
Add the Red Rock Rally to your 2022 “bucket list.” There is a $5 parking fee, but admission to all events is free.
Red Rock Balloon Rally | Dec 2 – 4, 2022
P.O. Box 2621
Gallup, NM 87305
X‑Treme-Lee Fun Balloon Adventures
X-Treme-Lee Fun Balloon Adventures is based in Gallup, New Mexico. Float through the beautiful red sandstone canyons and over the…
Red Rock Park Museum
Through interpretive exhibits, the Red Rock Park Museum chronicles the lives and culture of the Ancestral Puebloans as well as…